As the head of the wellness coach team at Find It Health, my goal is to assist you in making well-informed decisions regarding natural therapies.
Gua sha is a traditional Chinese medicine technique that involves using a smooth, flat tool to scrape the skin. This helps to increase blood circulation, which can help to reduce puffiness and swelling. It can also help to improve the elasticity of the skin, which can give your face a more sculpted look.
Let’s take a closer look at Gua sha and how it can benefit your routine.
Does Gua Sha Slim Your Face?
The Chinese medicine Gua Sha is incapable of slimming your face on its own, but it can be a great addition to your face-slimming routine.
This results in a temporarily more contoured face.
You might notice the existence of “sha spots” following a Gua Sha session. This is a common reaction to Gua Sha therapy and is said to signify areas of stagnation or obstructions in the energy flow of the treated areas. The marks fade once the body’s innate healing processes begin.
It is crucial to note that there is no scientific evidence to suggest that Gua Sha can specifically target and slim the face. The greatest way to reduce face fat is through weight control, which includes a good diet, regular exercise, and an active lifestyle. In order to achieve certain objectives, it’s critical to approach any skincare or wellness routine with reasonable expectations.
SUBSCRIBE for FREE STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES from our EXPERT COACHES!
Using Gua Sha On Face
For applying Gua Sha to the face, follow these general guidelines:
- Cleanse Your Face: Start by washing your face well to get rid of any dirt, makeup, or skincare products.
- Apply a Facial Oil or Serum: Apply a few drops of face oil or serum to your skin to offer glide and avoid any friction. Additionally, it will make the instrument slide more easily over your face.
- Start With Light Pressure: Apply light pressure to your skin, then if necessary, progressively increase it. Never should the scraping hurt or be uncomfortable.
- Follow a Specific Pattern: Your skin will stretch and get irritated if you use your Gua Sha instrument carelessly. Use upward motions on your neck and jawline and outward motions on your cheeks and forehead.
- Avoid Sensitive Areas: Gua Sha should not be applied to skin disorders like eczema, wounds, sunburn, or active acne. Additionally, stay away from any regions with broken capillaries and delicate skin around the eyes.
- Adjust the Pressure: Adjust the pressure to your own level of comfort. Be careful how much pressure you use because too much force can irritate or bruise. Experts advise using even, soft strokes across the skin that are directed in the direction of lymphatic movement. Excess fluid is drained and released as a result of this movement.
- Cleanse and Moisturize: After the Gua Sha session, cleanse your face again to remove any oil or product residue. Follow up with your regular skincare routine, including moisturizer and sunscreen.
SUBSCRIBE for FREE STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES from our EXPERT COACHES!
Gua Sha Effectiveness
- Improved Circulation: Gua Sha scraping motions can circulate to support healthy skin and give the skin a brilliant, natural glow.
- Lymphatic Drainage: Gua Sha may lessen puffiness, lessen the appearance of under-eye bags, and enhance overall skin tone by activating the lymphatic system.
- Reduced Muscle Tension: Gua Sha may reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles and encourage a complexion that appears more relaxed and youthful.
- Facial Contouring: The upward strokes and lifting motions in Gua Sha are believed to help improve facial contour and define the jawline for a more sculpted appearance.
- Enhanced Absorption of Skin Care Products: By massaging the face with a Gua Sha tool, skincare products can penetrate deeper into the skin, potentially increasing their efficacy.
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: The facial massage involved in Gua Sha can help relieve stress and promote a sense of calm and well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Gua Sha actually change face shape?
Bone structure cannot be altered by Gua Sha. However, the movements and strokes used in this procedure might drain extra fluid, highlight face features, get rid of puffiness, and trim double chins.
How to use Gua Sha to reduce face fat?
If you have specific areas of concern, such as puffiness or tension, spend extra time on those areas. Use smaller, more precise movements and slightly increase the pressure, but always be gentle to avoid any discomfort or pain.
Although regular Gua Sha sessions can help tone and tighten facial skin, it’s crucial to remember that it cannot permanently reduce fat in particular regions. Always remember that the results of Gua Sha depend on factors such as technique, consistency, and individual skin type.
Does Gua Sha actually give you a jawline?
While Gua Sha may be effective for temporary improvement in facial muscle tension and appearance, it cannot dramatically alter the shape of your jawline on its own.
A healthy circulation, muscle relaxation, and lymphatic drainage could improve the area of the jawline where tension is held.
How quickly do you see results from Gua Sha?
Practitioners confirm that after just one session, patients frequently remark that their skin is noticeably more lifted. If you’re just getting started, daily treatment over the course of three to four weeks is a terrific kick-start.
Keep in mind that long-term changes in skin texture require patience and consistency in order to produce apparent results. We advise incorporating Gua Sha into your skincare routine for long-term benefits.
Does Gua Sha stone reduce face fat?
Gua Sha by itself is unable to eliminate extra fat or drastically alter the definition of the face. However, according to the principles of traditional Chinese medicine, employing certain types of stone for Gua Sha could aid in facial slimming:
- Rose Quartz: This lovely pink quartz stone can remove toxins from the body and negative energy. It can also reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Black Obsidian: Black Obsidian may be used to purge the body of bad thoughts or feelings, resulting in skin that is more youthful. It is related to the potent elements of fire, water, and earth. A Gua Sha instrument made of black obsidian may also aid in muscle tissue strengthening and restoration.
- Jade: Jade crystal puts any imbalances to rest, which improves lymphatic drainage and lessens overall skin puffiness.
- Amethyst: According to popular belief, amethyst gemstones release negative ions that help the body get rid of stress and dark energy. Cooler skin and smaller pores are the end results.
Whether you choose to do Gua Sha at home or seek professional assistance, it’s crucial to prioritize safety. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Educate Yourself: If you’re doing Gua Sha at home, learn the right procedures and safety precautions from dependable sources like trusted websites, how-to videos, or expert advice.
- Start with Clean Skin: Before commencing the Gua Sha treatment, make sure your face is clear of debris and makeup.
- Apply Gentle Pressure: Do not exert too much pressure that results in bruising, pain, or discomfort. Gua Sha should be a soothing and gentle procedure.
- Use Suitable Tools: Pick a smooth material Gua Sha facial tool, like one made of rose quartz or jade. Make sure it is clean and devoid of any rough or pointed edges that could cut your skin.
As a result of the comprehensive research conducted by Find It Health, it is evident that there are no scientific studies proving that Gua Sha can permanently thin a person’s face or improve bone structure.
As previously noted, for the best effects, you must combine Gua Sha with lifestyle modifications like diet, exercise, or cosmetic surgery. It is also best to speak with a medical expert before beginning Gua Sha or any other alternative therapy if you have any underlying health disorders or concerns.
Luz Chacon is a Health Educator, Wellness Coach, and EFT Tapping Practitioner with 30+ years in health advocacy. Specializing in stress management, wellbeing, and holistic health, she created a 40% stress reduction employee program. Luz is dedicated to helping busy individuals prioritize self-care, break patterns, and reach goals. She offers programs for organizations and individuals. Luz is passionate about sharing her health research and guiding informed choices!